Thursday, December 27, 2007

3G iPhone

iPhone? What is the relationship between EGDB and iPhone? Since the day I had EGDB posted on the net, I always want to be able to access EGDB anywhere I want, which could be the park people playing Chinese chess. I have a Palm Treo 650 connecting to a 3G phone just to do that (among other things). Being able to connect to internet anywhere has a special appeal to me for a long time. The Treo interface is not so great when compared to iPhone. What if I can have a iPhone with 3G connection? It will be great. I didn't know a way to achieve that until one day I saw the following article:

http://www.pyrofersprojects.com/3gipod/3gipod.html

It described exactly what I want before Apple starts to sell 3G iPhone. Immediately, I tried out the idea in Apple store and prove it works as expect. I then bought a iPhone, and a XDA O2 atom as my 3G/3.5G modem. The combination works wonderfully. Now I can access my EGDB anywhere I want with good speed and good interface as long as there is 3G service available, which is pretty ubiquitous here.

I am pretty happy to have the combination. Saying that, there are still some rooms for improvement.

1. Of course, if there is true 3G/3.5G iPhone then I don't have to carry another phone as modem, it will be much better. For this, we have to wait for Apple.

2. XDA O2 atom runs out of battery really fast when both data connection and WiFi are on.

3. Safari refuses to run my big text interface as I intend it to be and no Java is available for it. I now stick to small text interface. Let me see if I can fix big text version from my cgi script.

If you also use iPhone to access EGDB, welcome you to leave your comments here.

No comments: