Friday, November 16, 2007

Forth

For people who wonder why the "lpforth.forthfreak.net" domain name, here is the explanation.

The Chinese Endgame Databases Project started when I wanted to write a Chinese chess program to beat some of my friends. Naturally, I use my most proficient programming language "Forth" to write the program. Forth is a peculiar language that some people just grow inert in using it after they obtain the ability. I am one of them. Over the years, I even wrote a couple of compilers for it. One runs under Linux environment (lpforth), the other runs under Palm OS (ppforth). lpforth actually stands for "Linux pForth", and not something else. ppforth stands for "Palm pForth". When I first had my EGDB server running, I had an IP address as web address. One of the Forthers, Lothar Schmidt, saw it and provided me with "lpforth.forthfreak.net" domain name free of charge. My thanks to Mr. Schmidt.

No comments: