Friday, November 16, 2007

Some history regarding indefinite chasing

When I first have EGDB available over internet, I was not sure if it was correct. I basically followed Haw-ren Fang's paper (Haw-ren Fang, Tsan-sheng Hsu and Shun-chin Hsu. "Indefinite Sequence of Moves in Chinese Chess Endgames", Proc. 3rd International Conference on Computers and Games (CG), to appear in a Springer-Verlag LNCS volume, 2002.) and hoped it would be correct. I didn't know if anyone will actually look into the databases. I was surprised to find out "meifire" asked in AI-Master forum if my server was still up while it was temperately off-line. He later found mistakes in positions pertain to indefinite chasing. He even went into length in explaining how to view Asian rules in a simplified way, which prompt me to modify the code so it could generate correct databases. I constructed all the EGDB again with the new algorithm and posted the databases again. This time, meifire didn't find indefinite chasing error until one day he raised a position here.












Thank cck for Java Chessboard



Click here to see the position in EGDB.

It lead to a interesting discussion and an unexpected conclusion. I thought it is a significant history of EGDB. :-)

No comments: